This is my first post in the Mom’s recipes Category.It’s a no Ginger, Garlic and Onion Easy Sour Fish Curry.
My Mom is my ideal of my life. I have learned my life’s lessons from her. In fact, manny says that I am her reflection and that is so very true.I started to learn cooking from my Mom at a very young age, maybe when I was in 6th standard.She always says a good cook must always know how to cook as well as serve properly.Only cooking is not the job. Everything should be always systematic, clean and organized.Whatever is cooked should be enough for all.That is the first lesson she taught me of correct proportions.As how much proportion I should take to cook according to the number of members in the family.
Now you might be thinking why so early I started cooking, it’s because I was always keen in knowing about cooking as well as I always wanted to help my Mom in the kitchen.My Mom has retired as a school teacher.Since she was a working lady so I thought if I can help her in the kitchen, she will get some extra time to relax. Initially, she taught me how to wash vegetables, rice, and pulses…like how many times we should wash and all. So by now, you all know how this cooking interest came in me.Will be sharing more in my future recipes posts about my darling mom and her cooking lessons.
Today I am going to share a simple fast and easy recipe of hers. Our family is a big fish lover family.Mom says fish is always healthy and good for the heart. We are Assamese, so sour fish curry will always be there on our menu. There are different types of sour fish curries but Mom always tries this easy one at home.Sharing below the recipe.
Recipe for No Ginger, Garlic, and Onion Easy Sour Fish Curry
- Fish – 4 to 5 pieces ( any big variety of fish )
- Tomatoes – 200gms of organic small ones chopped.(You can use big tomatoes also)
- Panchphoran – 1tsp
- Turmeric – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard/refine oil – 3 tbsp for frying and curry both
- Potatoes – 1 medium cut into small pieces.
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Water- 2 to 3 cups
- Wash the fish pieces properly and then add 1 tsp turmeric powder and a little salt and rub it on the fish pieces properly and keep aside.
- Put a kadhai on the flame and add 3 tbsp mustard oil.When the oil is hot, fry the fish pieces a little.It shouldn’t be too much fried.Mom says half-fried.When it is done, keep it aside.
- Now in the same kadhai when the oil left from frying is hot, put 1 tsp panchphoran to it.When it splutters, lower the flame and add the potato pieces and tomato pieces together.Now put 1 tsp turmeric and a little salt and stir it nicely.Put the lid and let it cook for 7 mins in low flame.Keep stirring in middle.
- Meanwhile, boil the water required for the curry.Mom says in curries we should always give hot water not cold water.
- The potatoes and tomatoes are now half cooked.Add the boiling water to it.Also, add the fried fish pieces to it and cover it with the lid.Let it come to boil and now keep it in medium flame.
- Once it starts boiling, the curry will become light yellow in color.Mom says we should always bring this color, then only the curry becomes tasty.(mom-tip)
- Now lower the flame, check the amount of salt.If needed put more according to requirement.Add the lemon juice to it and let it cook on low flame for 7 mins.
- By now the potatoes have become tender and this is the sign of doneness of the curry.
- The sour fish curry is done and ready to be served with hot steamed rice.
So do make this easy fish curry recipe from my Mom’s cooking diary and share your thoughts.When you will cook this curry, the aroma of panchphoran in the curry will invite everyone to the dining table.
Thank you for visiting this space and keep coming for more such recipes.
- You can garnish lastly with coriander leaves but its optional.
- You can avoid putting the lemon juice in the curry and can give lemon pieces while you serve it with your meal.
- Mom says always use very less oil in the curry otherwise you won’t get that light yellow color.
- Eat organic healthy vegetables.In the recipe also it is mentioned organic small tomatoes because Mom takes vegetables from our kitchen garden which is completely organic.
Below are the key ingredients of the recipe: Panchphoran and Organic small tomatoes.